Saturday, July 21, 2012

Why, Oh Why, Can't They Just Go To Bed?

I found this little tidbit I wrote in my journal and thought I would share.  This was written April 10, 2012.



I have an alarm set for 7 pm. This lets the kids know they have an hour to get ready and be in bed. And while I know it is natural for them to test their limits, I often find mine stretched beyond imagination. I try my best to stay firm but compassionate. It's just so hard when I know that if they would be still for a few minutes, they would crash.

Tonight was a trying night. I didn't get any sleep last night and it looked like another long one. Kertis (now 8 yrs old) decided to roam the house once he thought I nodded off. Had to get out of my nice warm bed and catch him. His excuse? "Mom, I just wanted to cuddle for a few mins." How do you say no to that? Kert climbs in my bed and passes out in 5 mins. Once he is out, I pick him up and carry him to his bed (Handsom is a restless sleeper).

I get back in bed, wrestle my pillow away from my hubby, and nestle under the covers. Then Cody (Kert's twin), shows up with his little face in mine.

Cody: Mom, I can't sleep.
Me: You want to climb in bed with me?
Cody: No, Dad snores too loud.
Me: (sighing as I leave my warm bed) Do you want me to rock you?
Cody: Why?
Me: ' Cause it might help.
Cody: I guess so.

I climb in the rocker and Cody climbs onto my lap with his blankie.

Cody: It's not going to work.
Me: It might.
Cody: No, nothing will work.

Less that 2 mins later: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cody is like a good feather pillow; he looks all light and fluffy, but he carries like a ton of bricks. It takes more time to get him back in his bed than it did to get him asleep. But that's not the final hurdle. No, I go back to my bedroom, only to find that Handsome has stolen the entire king size bed and all four pillows. Yep, I finally get the midgets to bed, only to lose my own in the process.

I sit here now with bloodshot eyes and an ironic smile. I could be angry, but I know that sacrificing some sleep is well worth the chance to hold my little boy. Cody is not as affectionate as Kert and shuns all motherly affection, so I've learned to take it where I can get it. Still, would one pillow really be too much to ask for?

No comments: