Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jog Journal

Jog # 3: I ran for over 10 minutes straight this morning without stopping. Well, ran is too fast of a term. I plodded along at a healthy pace. Hmmmm,……better. Anyway, I didn’t start this at the first jog, which is just as well since the first one was hardly a jog at all. I made it one block before tripping on my shoe string and falling. After that, it was downhill from there, or all uphill rather, both ways, in the snow…..barefoot. Okay, okay, not that bad! It was uphill both ways though. That truly is possible, but only in Missouri.

So, first run sucked. I was huffing and blowing like an eighty year old asthmatic trying to blow out candles on a birthday cake. Second run was a little better, but not much. Then, I waited about a week before taking run number three, which is where this journal begins. I know I shouldn’t have waited so long to run again, but I couldn’t help myself. This running thing is no picnic and the first two attempts left me stiff as a corpse. I haven’t seemed to suffer unduly as a result of waiting so long either, so I can’t say that I regret it too much.

So, benefits that I have gained so far: even though my chest has felt like it was in a vise for hours after each jog, I can’t say it’s a bad thing because I haven’t smoked as much as a result. I can’t even think about smoking for 4 to 5 hours after a jog. I simply don’t have the strength to pull a drag. Other than that, I haven’t seen any benefits yet.

My goals for this thing goes as follows: 1). To increase my energy levels. 2). To lose the 15 extra pounds I have gained in the last 4 months. 3). To be able to keep up with my kids. Pretty simple, right?

No comments: