Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Birthday Blessings

Tuesday was my twenty seventh birthday. It wasn't much, as far as birthdays go, but it wasn't bad either. Honestly, birthdays aren't much of a big deal to me. I guess I fail to understand the significance of them.

I suppose that some might say that it's to celebrate another year of life. Others would claim that it's just a way of marking that you're another year closer to death. I'm neither a "glass half full" or a "glass half empty" kinda girl, so I'm not into celebrating because of that. I'm just not into celebrating birthdays, period.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any particularly strong feelings regarding this issue. I don't hate birthdays. I just don't see the reason for the fuss. You get older every day, not just one day a year. You don't gain a year's worth of knowledge on this particular day. Yet, you still get rewarded for, what? Not getting creamed by a train or falling down a well in the past year? Well, I guess it's as good a reason as any. I am a little giddy to still be breathing. Still, breathing is instinctual. I do it ALL the time. I hardly think it calls for cake. ;-D

I guess I can see the allure for some (and despair for others). Everyone likes to feel special. Everyone likes to have their moment in the sun. I'm as guilty as the next person, in that respect. It's nice to have friends and family show their appreciation for your existence in their lives.

I just wish it wasn't such a production. I hate that people feel obligated to be kind to me on a particular day during the year. I would much rather opt for a spontaneous gesture, one that truly showed consideration. For instance, it was to celebrate my birthday, but the gesture the class made on Monday night wasn't obligatory. It showed thoughtfulness and genuine warm feelings towards me and it was the best birthday present I've ever had. Well, other than the puppy I got for my sixteenth birthday. Nothing beats a puppy.

I guess what it amounts to is the meaning of the gesture. A good deed done out of obligation, guilt, or for recognition doesn't seem like such a good deed, and I hate being the purpose behind such an act. I would much rather be the recipient of a kind gesture made out of genuine caring. That truly makes me feel as if the past year of my life has value.

Well, here I am, another day older and without cake to celebrate the fact. I'm always joyful that I've had another moment to grow wiser, love stronger and give more. I'm never resentful that I'm closer to my "oven timer" going off. I try to remember each day to be thankful of my blessings and to show my gratitude without looking at the calendar. I hope I let people know by my actions that I value their acts of goodwill towards me, and that presents and cake are not necessary, but are cherished none-the-less. I hope they know that their presence in my life over the year is what made the year worth living and the only thing I truly find worth celebrating. I hope that if I forget their birthday in turn they know it's not because their life has no meaning to me. Quite simply, I'm not the best at scheduling my time, and it's hard to remember a particular day to be loving, respectful and appreciative when I feel that way every day.

So, I just want to say to those who went out of their way for my birthday, thank you very much. The fact that no one made a huge production, as per my wishes, showed me that everyone who acted, did so out of the best of motives. To those who forgot my birthday, I'm not upset. I'm not saddened by it, or feeling neglected, or under the impression that I don't matter to you. Every one who is in my circle of friends and family are there because they have shown me kindness beyond a scheduled date anyway. And as I reflect on the past year of my life, I recognise the true gift you have already given me. You have given me pieces of yourself, whether it be time, consideration, respect, love, appreciation, and/or friendship.

Okay, that does beat a puppy. But the puppy was still awesome.

1 comment:

Sunshinelene said...

Happy Birthday.

Am just blog hoppin and i would like to link you up at my page:
http://sunshineforlife.wordpress.com