Friday, November 23, 2007

Biopsy

I had my biopsy earlier this week and I'm waiting (impatiently) for the results. I have to say, first of all, that the biopsy experience SUCKED!!!!! Still, the appointment itself went well. I learned a few things, like why they still wanted to do it with a negative HPV test. Seems that they're looking at the cells from my uterus and not my cervix, which means that if I have cancer I'll lose my uterus. Funny thing is that I'm not worried about it. I'm more relaxed knowing that I might have cancer than not knowing what I could have.

Actually, they're looking for pre-cancerous cells. I suppose that's like testing for HIV as opposed to AIDS. The results are supposed to take 2 to 3 days to get, but with Thanksgiving and all, they told me to expect them no later than Tuesday of next week. I'm so excited to be getting this over with. And maybe it's cocky of me not to be concerned that the results are positive, but I just don't think that cancer is something I have to worry about at this point in my life. Knock on wood.

Anyway, I have a few tips for others going through the same thing. My first tip is to have your mom or a good female friend with you for moral support. You may want to cry after and it's nice to have someone who will cry with you. Second, don't go during your ovulation period. It tends to hurt more and cause more cramping (feels like a pinch my ass!). It's probably best if you go the week after your period, since I was informed that it's typical for the tube to fill with blood, resulting in another attempt. Lucky for me, I excaped that hazard. Third, bring a pad and some advil. I know I'm creeping the boys out by this, but tough. This is important info. Last, but not least, make sure you have someone who can drive for you. I wanted to vomit after and I really wasn't up to driving. I didn't upchuck, but I wanted to.

So, that was my experience. I told them that if they lost the tissue sample I would go postal. I'm going to need serious drugs the next time, if there is one. If they call me in the next couple of days and say I tested positive for pre-cancerous cells, it's no big worry at this point. Their first option is to put me on hormones (like I'm not hormonal enough, lol). So, it's nothing drastic. All's well that ends quickly. I'd say all's well that ends well, but some of it wasn't so hot. I'll just be content for that phone call letting me know that everything's okay and I can move on.

No comments: