Thursday, November 15, 2007

Soooooo Booooored!

I'm at my "JOB" today, and now that I'm done re-arranging the file cabinets and throwing away the trash that has piled up in them, I'm basically spending my time twiddling my fingers.

Now, I know that there are several people out there who would love a chance to sit there at their jobs and do nothing. I, myself, would normally be thrilled with this opportunity to relax. However, I could be doing something more constructive with my time and I have so much to get done, but instead, I am forced to sit on my butt so that I might support my kids. Does that make sense to you? Me neither.

I'm beginning to think that I'm going for the wrong degrees here. I always thought I was too lazy to work in a factory, but now I'm thinking that I'm not lazy enough to work in an office. My skin is too sensitive to do fast-food. I'm too pretty to work phone collections. What's the point of having a pretty face if no one gets to see it? I'm sort of at a loss as to what I should do. I'm mediocre as a parent. I apparently suck as a girlfriend, so a housewife is out of the question. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

See, this is why I wish it paid something to be a poet. I'm good at that. It's just enough work to keep me happy. And if you don't believe that writing poetry for publication is work, just try to throw a novel or two together. It does require a lot of thought and even some physical labor. Anyway, it doesn't pay to be a poet. Not really. You could always spread the word about your work to your friends and family, but end the end, you only get so much royalties off of the people you know. I mean, once they buy a book, they're done. They don't need any more. Not unless their bookshelf catches on fire or something. And few people keep the books they buy. So, you have to take into consideration that most of the people who will read your book have received that book from a friend or relative. Of course, poetry isn't like mysteries or romance novels either. Those are more likely to be retained by purchaser.

Okay, well, I've killed a few minutes anyway. I know this is totally random and off the wall from my usual ranting, but I'm trying to keep from pulling my hair out and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to vent. Yeah, I know, I've been doing a lot of that lately. I'll snap out of my funk soon. Hopefully, I'll have the new home up and livable soon and I'll have a few more kinks ironed out by then. Maybe after the holiday season, things will settle down (I hope, I hope, I hope).

Please, Santa, I've been a good girl this year. I would like an ounce of peace, a pound of sanity, and about 160 pounds and six feet of hunk on my doorstep. I am, after all, a single girl now. I think I'm about due for a good man who will treat me right. Get back to me for other specifications.

2 comments:

Hailey's Beats and Bits said...

lol. your last three sentences are funny. lol. someone will come. he's just taking his time.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I guess it just shows that my Mr. Right is a lot like me, notoriously late for everything. I just wonder if he realizes that I'm a very impatient woman.