Saturday, June 23, 2007

Brain Drain

I'm beginning to wonder if some alien race discovered my blog and, lacking any humor or creativity of their own, decided to suck my artistic brain dry. I know that when you hit a slump with your writing, you should keep writing. I just really despise looking at a blank screen. Maybe it it's the flashing cursor. Write.Write. Write. Write. Write. Or, maybe it's looking at all the other words that surround my blank screen. I see the words: compose, edit, comments, and create. It's a small form of torture for a person who is normally not at a loss for words.

I guess this is constructive for me. I'm not really dumbfounded when it comes to topics to write about. I simply don't have anything G rated. I have some colorful things to say about my ex husband, but it's a little harsh. I can talk about the humorous things that my kids have been doing, but no one really wants to be entertained with potty training misfortunes. I know I can't talk about my last date, or the neighbors comments the next day. That's totally out of the question, but for all of you who are truly curious, I'll hang around Monday night after class.

I think my problem stems from my upbringing. We didn't have this kind of censorship in our house. Our intimate lives weren't intimate at all. My folks knew what and whom I was doing at all times. I knew more than I wanted about them too. Actually, it's still that way. The lines of communication were more than open at all times. Unfortunately, I haven't adapted to the "real world" as of yet. I'm used to sharing the same information that others squirm just thinking about. Maybe, this class will teach me a happy medium. Or, maybe not. Maybe, I'll just end up staring at a flashing cursor. Write. Write. Write. Write. Write.

No comments: