Monday, June 11, 2007

I Go On (Poem)

I wrote this for all the spouses of the military men and women who have to stay behind, whether the parting is temporary or permanent. I can only imagine the strength it must take to carry on with their lives. Peace, love, and respect to all the "homestead soldiers". May your battles be short, and your victories sweet.
I Go On


I wake up in the morning,
and for a moment you’re not gone,
until I reach beside me
and I don’t feel your warmth.
That’s when tears start falling,
but soon enough they pass.
I cannot stop the smile that forms,
when I recall your laugh.
And though my days seem empty
without you, here, with me,
I know I’ll see your face before too long.

So, I go on,
like we’ve never been apart.
No matter what the distance,
you’re close within my heart.
Yes, I go on.
It’s easier said than done,
but sorrow cannot steal, from me,
our moment in the sun.
I go on.

There are still some moments
when I give in to despair,
but time cannot erase the feel
of your fingers in my hair;
or when I laid beside you,
the sound of your heartbeat.
Ev’ry memory of you
is just so bittersweet,
but I would never give up
a single day of your love
to avoid the pain now that you’re gone.

I go on,
and I count my blessings too.
My life is so much better because
I was loved by you.
Yes, I go on,
even though I miss you so.
As long as you are in my heart,
I’ll never let you go,
and I’ll go on.

No comments: