Thursday, June 28, 2007

Unspoken II (Poem)

Unspoken II

My head upon his shoulder,
my hand upon his chest,
and while he slumbers peacefully,
he knows not my unrest.
Nor does he know the weight of love
that sits upon my breast.

So sad, my thoughts turn inward.
My eyes search out his face.
I wonder what force brought me here
to witness love and grace;
to take it back, now that I know,
and leave this empty space.

Tonight, his presence does naught
to drive away my fears.
And time will not erase the words
still ringing in my ears.
So, while he holds me in his sleep,
I shed, silent, my tears.

So blatantly he spoke it.
No more to him than lust.
To put a wall around his heart
and violate my trust.
He says to linger on this way
would not be fair and just.

Though what he spoke rang hollow,
I know I must let go.
His every touch of fingertips,
reminder of my woe.
And putting space between our hearts,
the only cure I know.

I know I should not linger.
No peace is gained by this.
But I cannot deny myself
this little bit of bliss.
I know not when I’ll see again
those lips I love to kiss.

I sigh, and snuggle closer
to soak him in my skin.
His troubled soul is resting now.
I wish it’d never end;
that time would stop, and nighttime stay
and not let daylight in.

I wish that I could prove him
the depth at which I’m bound.
That when this world had left him cold,
I would have been around;
that my love’s never lost to him,
just waiting to be found.

I slip from ‘tween the covers
into the cold of night.
My heart does beg me to return
and stop this prideful flight.
But to him, I’m not worth the risk
for which to stand and fight.

He stirs, but does not waken.
My heart lets out a cry.
I cup my hands over my face
until it passes by.
I don’t wish him to feel the pain
of loss, so soft I fly.
Yes, only I am witness to
the pain of our goodbye.

No comments: