Thursday, June 7, 2007

Sleep

Just for my personal amusement, I decided to write more this week. I had a topic already picked out (something about tragedy in the media) but I decided to forgo that topic for a lighter one. Honestly, I'm just too tired after the all-nighter I pulled to get so fired up about a subject. Instead, I figured on throwing out a few casual thoughts and maybe posting one of my poems after all. Since it won't count towards my word count, I can't see how posting something I wrote before this class will affect my grade any (dang my big mouth). In case you don't understand what this little tangent is about, I thought I would have the journal thing licked by a simple cut and paste of some stories and poems that I have written over the years. However, in mentioning this, I discovered that it wouldn't cut it at all. Oh well, worth a shot.

Hmmm, here's an observation. Have you ever noticed how hard it is to write, or even speak, with any kind of flow from subject matter to subject matter when you've had no sleep? Well, maybe it's just me. Still, I think that proper rest should definately be one of the tools necessary for helping you develope your paper or essay. In fact, maybe we should have a sleep period in class to see if it helps us with our writing. Of course, we might have to try it several times. We can test how well we write after a good nap vs. staying awake the entire time and chart the results.

Oh, wow! I just though of something terribly clever. For those of us who remember our dreams, maybe dreaming could be an observation or brainstorming session for us! I know I could come up with some far out ideas based on a few of the dreams I have remembered. In fact, dreaming itself could be a good subject matter. You can write about how some people dream in black and white, while others dream in color. Or, you can write about how some people are simply observers in their dreams while others are participants. Even better, we can do a in class study to see if spicy foods make for spicy dreams (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I say we take a vote. All those in favor of ordering mexican food and catching a few z's on Monday, say "Aye!"

Okay, so it really isn't gonna happen (sigh). I did, however, get a little giddy at thinking of us all showing up with take-out boxes and a pillow. English Comp would be the first on the list of my favorite classes if that did occur. I even bet that there were several people who were really agreeing with me on this one. Let me know if you did, because we'll start a movement if so.

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

I am out when it comes to spicy foods... but after the day I am having a quickie is just what I need. (NAP PEOPLE... get your head out of the gutters!)