Thursday, June 21, 2007

Let It Rain!

I’m feeling a little creatively challenged this week. In other words, my stream of ideas could use a little precipitation. Now, I just need to make it rain. I thought about all the tips we were given in class to come up with new ideas. For instance, reading other written works.

I started with my blog, since it was so handy to get to. I didn’t get anything from that. Well, let me clarify. I didn’t get anything useful from it. I did get a few ideas, but nothing I could post without receiving a stern look and a wagging finger. Back to the drawing board.

Next, I tried looking at someone else’s blog. I clicked on the link that says “next blog,” in the upper left hand side. I didn’t see a whole lot to work with by this, either. I did see something that amused me personally. The author of this site posted a “phobia of the day.” I didn’t realize that there were people in this world who were scared of some of these things. Take chirophobia, otherwise known as the fear of hands. How awful must it be to be afraid of your own hands? How, in the world, would you deal with that?

Now, I’m starting to catch a little drizzle. I suddenly remember this twilight zone episode where this man’s hands take over his body, choke the man to death, separate themselves from the man, and join this posse of hands that are running rampant through the town. I think I would have a phobia of hands, too, if this happened.

Here’s a train of thought detour: Fear doesn’t always follow logic, does it? I’m afraid of losing my kids, but the thought only makes me cry. I’m afraid of spiders, and the thought of them leaves me paralyzed. My eyes get big, my chest heaves, my muscles freeze, and the scream of terror freezes in my throat. Ask me which one is worse, and, without a doubt in my mind, I’ll say losing my kids. It’s logical to be afraid of losing them. My fear of spiders isn’t very logical at all. Maybe, that’s why my reaction is so extreme. But, I don’t think spiders are logical either. They have two many legs to be able to move that fast. I’m clumsy on the two legs I have. I’m worse in a three-legged race. How do they get all those legs to move together and not trip themselves up? Or bathroom walls. How do they climb up the shower walls? That’s not right!

Who really knows why we fear the things we fear? I could say that I fear spiders because they lurk in dark places, waiting to jump out at you and attach themselves to you. Maybe it’s true. I’m sure that plays a part in it. Still, it’s not very logical to be afraid of spiders since I’ve never had the misfortune to be hurt by one. Then again, I don’t see how people can be afraid of hands either. Maybe they experienced some trauma while watching twilight zone. Maybe, just maybe, fear is like a child’s Christmas present. Logic is not included.

I wish I would've bookmarked that blog I went to. I understand the the "next blog" link doesn't always take you back to the same blog. I could've added their link to my page, but no, I don't think of that. So, in an effort to amuse and entertain, I did a little research. I found a site with a compiled list of phobias that I added the link to. I feel strangly normal and well balanced when reading the list, too.

1 comment:

Maverick said...

I just accidently got into your blog. You expressed it nicely. Very good, keep it up.