Monday, August 20, 2007

Complete

There's these moments in time, when the whole world seems surreal, when the sky is grey but seems unnaturally bright, that I sit and wonder if I can hear the earth breathing. The wind will be blowing, usually with the scent of rain not yet shed upon it. The leaves will dance, each one seeming so eerily sharp so that I could distinguish them all at a glance. The crickets have stopped chirping. The dogs have stopped barking. It's just me, my heartbeat, and the wind blowing in like ocean tide.

It's times like these that I feel so connected to the earth but so alienated from the world. The scents, the sights, the feel of the humidity in the air, I am a part of it and it is a part of me. There is no movement but the leaves tumbling like gypsies in the breeze and my blood through my veins. There is only me in the whole vastness of the universe, only me left to ponder in the perfection of the moment.

Out of nowhere, I siren blares, a child laughs, a car revs its motor. The perfection is broken, its mirror-like fragments laying in ruins around my feet. I turn around to walk in my front door. Inside is chaos, but not the chaos that disturbed me before. Inside, my children run to greet me, clinging noisely to my legs. Inside, the lights are much dimmer, the rain doesn't cling to the air. Inside is warmth that blends the edges, fades the sharpness. Inside is a new perfection, one that makes me.......complete.

No comments: