Saturday, August 18, 2007

Purge (Poetry)

Purge

The movie ticket from our first date,
the photo of you with a funny face,
the bottle of perfume that turned your head,
the outfit I bought to wear to your bed,
some letters I wrote, but never sent,
a t-shirt of yours I once went home in,
a CD of songs that we had dance to,
I’m trying to purge my life of you.

I wish I could say
that these feelings would go away
as fast as those things went up in flames.
As the smoke starts to rise,
bitter teardrops fill my eyes.
There’s no going back, I realize.
All that there is left to do
is purge my life of you.

Your phone number and your ring tone,
the heart with our names on my mirror at home,
the present you bought me last Valentine’s too,
I’m trying to purge my life of you.

I wish I could say
that the memories would go away
as fast as those things were erased.
But, it seems I always find
one more thing that you left behind.
I never can get you off my mind.
What I cannot seem to do
is purge my life of you.

No comments: